Monday, September 9, 2013

Tom Hiddleston, 'Only Lovers Left Alive' Star, On The Scene He Pitched For 'Thor: The Dark World'

HUFFINGTON POST
Mike Ryan
Mike.Ryan@huffingtonpost.com



It's remarkable how popular Loki has become. What could have been a forgettable role as a mostly unknown villain (at least to the non-comic book reading population of the world) in "Thor," a then-second-tier superhero movie, has now become something close to a household name. This has everything to to with Tom Hiddleston.

tom hiddleston only lovers left alive

Hiddleston is at the Toronto International Film Festival in support of Jim Jarmusch's "Only Lovers Left Alive." Hiddleston plays Adam in the film, a very sad vampire who spends his days moping around Detroit and being snobby about music (Adam is a Jack White fan, though). This is not a vampire movie that will appeal to "Twilight" fans; this is a vampire movie that will appeal to Jim Jarmusch fans.


In person, Hiddleston is a geyser of charm, and he's certainly not the type who would look his gift horse -- in this case, his gift god -- in the mouth. That's something Hiddleston displayed to dazzling effect at this year's Comic-Con when he took the stage in full Loki wardrobe in front of hundreds of screaming fans. (It's a moment that, as he mentions here, meant a lot to the 32-year-old actor.) Loki aficionados will have even more to cheer about this fall: In the interview below, Hiddleston discussed the post-Comic-Con additions to "Thor: The Dark World," which he says adds a lot more Loki to the film (including one thing that Hiddleston pitched himself).



But, first, the interviewee explains why he was recently the interviewer.

Tom Hiddleston: I just recently did your job.

What do you mean?
Well, I mean I conducted an interview and had to transcribe it.

Transcribing is awful, right?
It's the hardest thing in the world.

Who did you interview?
I was interviewing Natalie Portman.

Did you enjoy being on that side of it?
Very much so, yeah.

How so?
I liked listening. And I actually thought, I'd better do my research, like serious reporter. I went back and watched all of her films -- and then you begin to see things differently I guess. The biggest thing I took away from it is actually the perception of the interviewee is a subjective thing. That's what I realized. I realized how much it's my particular view of Natalie. I can't possibly be objective; I bring who I am to the table. And it made me realize, like, your interview with me is your interview with me.

Subjectively, I think you seem like a nice guy because I just watched a video where you gave Cookie Monster a cookie.

[Laughs] Thanks, man. I did. I gave him a whole plate! Yeah, Cookie Monster was a big moment for me.


READ THE REST OF THE INTERVIEW HERE: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/09/tom-hiddleston-only-lovers-left-alive_n_3890573.html

No comments: